Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dreaming a little dream...*

Somehow i've always imagined myself to grow up into a businesswoman, firm and confident, at times stern but always fair.. but now, i'm studying to be an aerospace engineer, with mannerisms nothing lyk the gentle character i imagined myself to hav in the above. haha strange that i've always been training myself 2 become a better person, for this dream. I guess i've always thought that my life would eventually result in the above i juz described. Yet the path i've taken now is not likely to lead to wat i've always thought will be. Me, an engineer. To be honest, i dun even noe wat an engineer does.

Imaging myself as a careerwoman, wearing business suits as compared to wat i'll become now that i'm studying engineering... wat do engineers wear? i've no idea. Engineers arent really technicians but yet i seem 2 c ppl wearing overalls covered in grease and oil as smthg similar to wat an engineer muz appear to b. wat a stark contrast. Oh wells, studying engineering doesnt mean that i'll become an engineer, i can always go into business, banking, administrative(..boring) areas even if i dun hav the knowledge n expertise of these sectors.. i can always go learn and study, if i were 2 choose 2 enter these areas. So i guess, for now, this will be my path, watever i imagined myself 2 b previously, will no longer hold.. for now.

hmm uncertainties aside, let's get on wif wat's gg on wif me these days. A friend juz told me that dere's only abt 15 girls out of the 162 aerospace students in my batch this yr. Guess we were all disappointed that the cohort is so big... so much for 'our facilities cant accommodate too many students', guess we wanted our numbers to lie in the 80 - 100s... so that we were more exclusive, we were more special. I was shocked when i found out dere were 162 students, more so when i heard only 15 were girls.

I knew that there'll b very little girls, i've been warned innumerous times by countless ppl yet i was hoping that it being the dragon girls' intake, there'll b more girls. Apparently i was wrong. But i was checking out the other girls ( ;] ) hehe n i saw hey, most of them do noe how 2 dress up, hooray for female aerospace engineers! Guess u cant really tell that they're that capable n smart from their so-not nerdy get-up. Oops i seem 2 b insinuating smthg.. we dun dress bimbotic. We dress in line with the latest fashions n trends. We noe how 2 make ourselves look gd. Haha, for our sake than for those 147 guyz. Eww, dressing up for them is an insult to us, oh well, me @ least. i guess it was interesting to see who were the other 14 girls who would pick up this course. Amazingly i alr knew abt 1/3 of the girls in the aerospace cohort. 2 were from nj, 1 was from my og and another i got to know thru friends. Haha, somehow i managed 2 find so many aerospace girls ard me. No wonder i was shocked that dere were so few girls, that most were actually ard me haha.

Guess this juz made me wonder even more if this is the path that i ought to take. Perhaps i should hav taken accountancy, assuming i can get in. A career where e male to female ratio isnt so bad, where my image of wearing business suits would easily fit in.. hmm.. i guess it's too late to consider all these again. I've already thought thru it so many many times that i'm getting a bit tired of it all. Let's juz see wat happens in these 4 yrs. I will work hard. I wouldnt let myself down for 1 thing. Hopefully i'll b able 2 cope. I do wan 2 take certain biz electives. All e best 2 me.
Let the challenge of the 4 yrs ahead begin.

MSN nick: Sometimes i really hate myself.

No comments: